Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum: 1-35 and University Parks Drive | PO Box 2570, Waco, TX 76702-2570 | (254) 750-8631
Donation in Memory of
Dr. John Robert Palmer, Jr.
Dr. John Robert
Courtesy: Franci Plunkett
March 27, 2003, The Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum welcomed the
friends and family of donor Patricia Palmer-Hartley for a memorial donation
of two engraved rifles. The rifles, a 1873 Winchester Rifle and a 1866
Henry Rifle, were donated in the memory of Ms. Palmer-Hartley’s
late husband Dr. John Robert Palmer, Jr.
The 1873 Winchester
includes an unusual half round-half octagonal barrel and is made entirely
of steel. Commonly called a “Gallery Gun,” this Winchester
Rifle was chambered for the tiny .22 short caliber and was used mainly
for indoor practice shooting.
The weapon was not originally engraved but was finished out using typical
Winchester factory engravings by Master Engraver Frank E. Hendricks of
Dripping Springs, Texas in 1966-1967.
This Winchester Model
1866 .44 caliber Henry rifle includes ivory stocks and engraved silver
plated frame and mounts.
The weapon, often
referred to as a “Yellow Boy,” was based on the original Henry
Rifle but had an improved loading system and a receiver made from a corrosive
This rifle was also not originally engraved but
Dr. Palmer decided in 1968 to reproduce a very rare Winchester factory
presentation model of the Winchester 1866 given to a high-ranking Latin
American political leader. With the assistance of Master Engraver Frank
E. Hendricks, Dick Story engraved the Model 1866 using layouts originally
used by renowned engraver L. N. Nimschke and silver-plated it. Hendricks
also added an ivory fore end and butt stock.
Both engravers and
their families were also present at the ceremony, which included a brief
history of the weapons and the story of the weapons engraving work. The
weapons were placed on display following the ceremony in the Garrison